29 December 2010

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard

 "I had a life anyone would kill for. Then someone did."



I enjoyed Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars and was pretty excited when I heard that she was writing a new series.

Unfortunately, this book fell short of the bar that Pretty Little Liars  has set. My first gripe was the incessant namedropping. Katy Perry, Owl City (hipster trash), Lady Gaga, iPads/Phones.. to me, it seemed like a desperate attempt to seem young, fresh, and hip. The tone just seemed as though she were pandering.

I digress.

The plot was thin, and Ms. Shepard did a terrible job at writing a character that I'm supposed to sympathize with. In this book, there are two main characters -- Sutton and Emma, who are identical twins. Sutton lives a charmed life. She is manipulative and selfish, oh, and she was murdered. This leaves our other leading girl, who was shuffled around from foster home to foster family and back again, to try to pick up the pieces and solve the murder. The cliffhanger was pretty obnoxious, but as it was only the first book in the series, I'm sure that Ms. Shepard can do better than this.

Final verdict? Needs improvement. I know that she can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment